State Support Team Region 9 Serving Schools in Holmes, Stark, and Wayne Counties

Stark State Advanced Technology Center ~ 6057 Strip Ave. N.W., North Canton, OH 44720  
Telephone: 330-492-8136  ~  Toll Free: 1-800-733-7732

Transition from Secondary School
to Colleges and Universities

Transition from Secondary School to Colleges and Universities

Families and students should do the following:

  1. Investigate more than one college or university.
  2. Review what the institution of higher education (IHE) offers
    relative to the student's career aspirations
  3. Find out what accommodations and services the IHE provides.
  4. Students need to self-advocate.  The IHE will not identify students with disabilities.
    Students must identify themselves, their disability and needs.

IHE's prefer the following:

  1. The evaluation team report (ETR).
  2. An adult IQ test.
  3. Evidence of a disability, either a medical or psychological report.
  4. An IEP might be helpful, but is not necessary.
  5. A summary of performance/exit IEP is helpful.
  6. The student's ability to communicate their disability and
    the accommodations they have had in high school and will need in college.

Different IHE's may provide different accommodations.  Students are no longer entitled to services.  They are now eligible for services.  IHE's do not modify their academic requirements for students with a disability.  Generally, IHE's may provide or allow the following accommodations:

  1. Additional time for test taking
  2. A place without distractions for test taking
  3. Calculators
  4. Note taking services
  5. Electronic notes
  6. Readers
  7. Support personnel

Students are expected to complete all assignments and requirements of the course syllabus on time.  Assessments (tests, quizzes and class work) will not be altered or adjusted for the student.

IHE's generally do not provide support for students living in dormitories.  Students may be eligible for assistance through The Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities Agency (OOD).


  1. What specific disability documentation is required to access services?
  2. How many students are presently being served by the Office of Accessibility Services?
  3. How many staff members work in the Office of Accessibility Services?
  4. How are the professors notified of the academic accommodations for a student with a disability?
  5. Are there any fees for the services and accommodations?
  6. What does the disability specialist recommend that students with disabilities do to prepare for higher education?
  7. What types of assistive technology are available to students and how do I access the technology?
  8. What types of tutoring are available for students with disabilities?
  9. Can they list the accommodations and services available at their institution?
  10. Are substitution courses available for particular required college courses based on appropriate disability documentation?

Questions to Ask Colleges About Assistive Technology Resources: